International Conference on How to Transform Degraded Urban Space?
21st and 22nd of May 2013
Multimedia center KIBLA, Ul. Kneza Koclja 9, 2000 Maribor
The main topic of the conference will be urban degraded sites.
Reinvented meanings, purposes and social grounds through artistic approach, research, new media, design and critical thinking will be revealed by selected authors. The panels will be presented by artist, scholars, designers, architects and students.
The speakers will represent their projects that reflect idea of understanding the present and future needs for interweaving dialogue of integrating social, cultural and economic environment.
The aim of the conference is to represent:
• exchange of ideas
• artistic site specific works that demands public / social involvement
• expertise studies on innovative solutions for the revitalization of degraded areas
• demands and criteria of developing student's ideas for the project
• projects by students
• best practice
EU-PA, the European Public Art project, is a creative experiment in culture-led urban regeneration taking place in four European cities:
Comune di Jesolo (Jesolo Municipality, coordinator), JESOLO, Italy eu-pa.net/jesolo/
University of the Arts London, Central Saint Martins LONDON, UK eu-pa.net/london/
International Centre for Art and New Technologies (CIANT), PRAGUE, Czech Republic eu-pa.net/prague/
ACE KIBLA, MARIBOR, Slovenia eu-pa.net/maribor
Tuesday, 21st of May 2013
8:00 p.m. – Exhibition opening of students from Central St. Martins College of Art & Design, London (GB)
Wednesday, 22nd of May 2013
9:50 a.m. - Welcome: Dejan Pestotnik, Vice president of ACE KIBLA
10:00 a.m.-11:20 a. m. - PANEL 1: Activism for Social Realm and Art's Purpose in Contemporary Society
- Ahac Meden: PREJK 12
- Hana Repše and Domen Rupnik: Art as Life
- Maruša Novak: Biomodd and other Hacks
- Monika Pocrnjić: I<3Plants
- Dušan Zidar: The Alternative Tourist Spots of Maribor
11:20 a.m. - 11:40 a.m. - Break
11:40 a.m. 1:00 p.m. - PANEL 2: Creative Approaches for Activating and Transforming the Public Realm
- Patricia Austin: Creative Approaches for Activating and Transforming the Public Realm
- Ekavi Whitlock-Blundell & Noémi Zajzon: Skillscycle-Unlocking the Public Realm with the Four Wheelbarrows
- Noémi Zajzon & Ekavi Whitlock-Blundell: Letna Reveals - Prague
- Seung Youn Lee: Talking Crest (Reshaping the Identity of King’s Cross) London; Jesolo ‘Pipe City’
- Alenka Banič: Maribor: The Chairs Project; 101 Things to Do in an Empty Swimming Pool
1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. - Lunch break
2:00 p.m. – 3:20 p.m. - PANEL 3: Expertise
- Matevž Čelik: From Architecture of Buildings to Architecture of Systems
- Janko Rožič: Art of Siting: The Architecture Between Upgrading and Degradation
3:20 p.m. – 3:40 p.m. - Break
3:40 p.m. – 5 p.m. - PANEL 4: Site Specific Best Practise
- Matej Andraž Vogrinčič (via skype): Site Specific Personal: From Experience of Finding Place and Idea to the Direct Connections with Inhabitants
- Miha Turšič: Site Specific: KSEVT Vitanje Slovenia
6:00 p.m. - Guided tour of Materiality exhibition at Kibla Portal, Valvazorjeva 40, Maribor led by co-curator: Žiga Dobnikar.
Serving of refreshments.
Conference abstracts (.pdf)
phone: 00 386 31 682 579
"With the support of the programme Culture of the European Union"
"This project has been funded with support from the European Commission.
This communication reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein."